I have an old Motorola Defy, since I bought a new android phone I thought it would be a nice idea to have the other phone also to be an android rather than an old Nokia. But my idea was to sync my contacts if I eventually loose my phone. However Android 2.2 is kind of getting old. So this is what I did.
Charge your phone. Here I will make a note that I won't take any responsibility for your actions, but also if you mess up read down below - I did too once, don't worry.
Factory Data Reset
1. From the screen of your phone, open the Applications Tray. (circle located in the middle at the right of the display screen) Or press the Menu button on the left from your screen.
2. Tap Settings
3. Scroll down and tap Privacy
4. Tap Factory Data Reset
5. Tap Reset Phone
First get everything. Here are the downloads:
Start by dowloading a stable release of the ROM:
Frama root (root the device): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2130276
Here for other versions of CM in future - choose the appropriate for your release: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps
Transfer all files to the sdcard and extract the bootloader archive to a directory named bootloader on the sdcard.
Disconnect from the usb.
Install the applications Frama root and Terminal
Gain Root with Framaroot
Install it from the file manager
Use Framaroot for one click root. (Select Gimli.)
Use Terminal to install the bootmenu:
cp -R /sdcard/bootmenu /data/bootmenu
chmod 755 *
rm -R /data/bootmenu
Time to flash:
1. Next, navigate through the recovery mode menu and select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”. Very important this is why I messed up the first time.
2. The system will now be wiped out, so that’s why the backup has been recommended before.
3. Up next, return to recovery main menu: select “+++go back+++”.
4. And choose “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”. <- choose the ROM
5. Pick the update file and flash the same.
6. Optional: repeat this operation for applying the Google Apps package.
7. When the installation process ends, from recovery select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
8. You are done.
In case of a mess (well it happens don't pannic ...):
Get the USB drivers: https://motorola-global-en-roe.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_detail/a_id/97281/p/30,6720,7704
Get an original ROM: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=27
Rename the rom to some short name - the RSD doesn't like long names.
Don't plug the device in the usb before you boot! (Power+volume up)